top of page
BALLINA IN THE 1880s
Fenwick House was built in 1888 by Thomas Fenwick. It is a two story mansion at Shaws Bay. When built, it faced directly onto the opening of the river mouth. It is built of Scottish granite and slate roof and cost 9,000 pounds (Hobbs, 2004)
The Ballina hospital opened in 1885. The position of matron and wardsmen were filled in January 1885. The first recored surgery was May 1896 when Dr MacQueen set a broken leg (Hobbs, 2004).
bottom of page