BALLINA IN THE 1890s
Work began on the breakwaters in 1889 and completed in 1912. Prior to the construction of the breakwater, ships were forced to cross an outer bar to gain entrance to the river and then settle in Shaws Bay. Crossing of the bar was treacherous and many ships and lives were lost. Hence the construction of the breakwater. Construction of the southern breakwall started first and completed last in 1912.
NORTH CREEK CANAL
Construction and dredging of the North Creek Canal started in 1895 and was opened in 1896. The canal linked North Creek with Fishery Creek and meant that cane punts could directly proceed to the Richmond River without crossing the treacherous Ballina bar.